Thursday, February 27, 2014

Wildlife here at Leasburg Dam State Park

I was on a walk yesterday morning down at the day use area. Since it is closed for the season I go and fix the chicken wire fences on the bridges at least once a week. I was also told there was a bird down there that is NOT common to New Mexico,so I had to go and see if I could find it too. well no I didn't find it but I did see a pretty bird that looks like a black cardinal ( phainopepla ). As I walked down the trail I met a camper and their dog talked a little and I started walking and looking up at the trees for birds,but then I saw a Great Horned Owl. What a great find and yes I did get the picture of it. Then the owl leaned down and its eyes got very large and then it flew away. So I walked down  and there it was in another tree. This time his back was to me,but he was looking at me. I watched a little while (while I was still taking pics) and saw its head turn almost all the way around it was very cool watching it.

Sky this morning

 Great Horned Owl close up
 Great Horned Owl
 Phainopepla
 Looking at me from his back
A Hawk on the other side of the Rio Grande

No comments:

Post a Comment